This small church built from cobblestones is situated at Richardplatz; here the first Bohemian service was held in 1737. The name “Bethlehemskirche” was only given to it in 1912 as a reference to the church of this name in Prague where the reformer Jan Huss preached.
The altarpiece shows Christ with his hand raised in a gesture of blessing. The original painting today is part of the collection of the Old Masters Gallery in Dresden. “Christ blessing” by the Venetian artist Cima de Conegliano, painted in 1506, was so highly appreciated that several copies were executed in the late 19th and early 20th century; they grace churches in Saxony like Brockwitz, Bärwalde and Graupa – as well as the one in Rixdorf.
Since their arrival in Rixdorf every year at Christmas time the community sings the Czech Christmas song “Cas radosti”.